Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken Pot-Pie

I tried to think of a clever little name, failed miserably.  Although I decided that sometimes it is nice to know what you are reading about prior to jumping in and reading.  I made chicken pot pie and loved it! I feel like I say that I loved every recipe I try, but I don't, I promise I don't. I made this weird healthy brownie thing last night, did not love it (although Roland and I ate the entire thing...recipe is not blog-worthy...yet).  Sooooo I will get straight to the point, this is one of the recipes that Tara sent me!! Highly recommend it.  I didn't have a pie tin, so I snagged one at DI--and then ventured around and found that they actually have really nice pie tins at the dollar store, so if you don't have a pie tin, and need one (because you will need one after you see the pictures of how delicious my pot pie looks) hit up a local dollar store!
Also, one more thing before I post the recipe, this meal is an awesome "newly wed" meal, or if you are cooking for two (maybe 3, if you don't eat like me)--just cook it up and grab a couple forks!

(To-die) Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

1 pkg pie crust (for anyone like me, this can be found by the pillsburry stuff)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c. milk
1 small bag of mixed frozen veggies (put about 3/4 of the bag in or however much you want)
1 russet potato - peal and chop into cubes and then microwave for 5 minutes to soften
1/4 c. sour cream
1 Tbs. mayo 
1/4 c. diced onion 
1 big can of diced white chicken breast (drain it)

Directions:
Combine soups, milk, mayo, and sour cream in a bowl. Add everything else into soup mixture. Add salt and pepper. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie dish (you can buy an aluminum one if you don't have a regular one). Put one shell on the bottom and form to pan. Add filling - there will be extra, don't use it all or it will overflow and crack the top of pie. (use most but not all). Then put the top pie shell over everything and seal the edges really good. Poke center of top three times with a fork to vent.

** So a few alterations to the recipe/directions that I did were first, I used miracle whip instead of mayo (the husband only eats mw) and it tasted fine. Then, when I was given the recipe my sister told me that she hadn't sealed the edges of the pie really well, so when I put the pie crusts on, I didn't remove any of it (the directions on the pie crust package say to cut off excess dough), I pinched both the top and the bottom crust together super well and then kind of rolled up the edge so it puffed up, to make a tasty crust (see pictures below) I don't know about you, but I LOVE the crust with the pot pie, and get kind of sad when it is gone. This made for extra dipping and a really tasty pie! Worked out great! 



Voila! And yes, it tasted as good as it looks.

So I seriously stuffed that pie FULL of the pie filling, but still had a little bit left over and decided to try wrapping it up with pillsburry croissants.  I wasn't sure how this would turn out so I only did a few (I absolutely love pillsburry croissants and didn't want to potentially ruin a whole package with my experimenting) to my surprise/delight it worked out very nicely! I just did a spoonful in the center and gently wrapped up the croissant, it was awesome! I would suggest this idea for left over sauce, or as a meal for larger parties! (this might help with portion control as well) Since we loved the combination so much we ended up dipping the plain croissants in the rest of the left over sauce! Needless to say, we don't have any sauce left over. All gone! AND 2 meals!



1 comment:

  1. Wow.....I just found your blog!! Love the stuffed croissants idea Chan!! How was dinner at Diane's last night? Good to see you guys!! Adding your blog to my list....G&G are gonna wish you are the cook at the Lodge!!!

    ReplyDelete